Minutes, January 16, 2009
Roll Call: Board Present: Peter Huebner, Mike Freschi, Nancy Finney, Lawrenc DeVita, Robert Eshleman and Kathleen Goicoechea. Others Present: Interim Executive Director, Cindy Noble, Professional Foresters Heather Morrison and Danielle Banchio, Don Yegge, Ernest Finney, and James Definbau (JD).
Public Comment: None
- Sierra County Board of Supervisors Title III Funding Request- Peter reported that approximately 50k will be appropriated on Tuesday, January 20, 2009.
- Sierra County Fire Plan-All the fire districts need to provide a list of assets, and volunteers for Sierra County.
- JD will get an update on Fire District one.
- Municipal Service Reviews can be partially funded by the 50k from Sierra County.
- Calpine project will be used as the poster child. Map was passed out with purple areas indicating more people interested in participating but the funding ran out.
- Foresters, Mike and Cindy will meet with Mr. McKinney today on W. Willow in Sierraville for possible future project.
- Pike City Fire District covers Alleghany- contact Tim Beals
- Homeowner’s insurance in Sierra County-Fire insurance has reportedly been cancelled in Sierra City if no 100 foot clearance around Property.
- Peter reported 18 large trees next to houses in Sierra City needing removal. The canopy cover results in fire insurance cancellations, however, removal is very expensive for homeowners
- Contractor Protocol-Danielle will be the point person to gather other protocols which should include requirements for references, qualifications, experience, licensure, coverage on all vehicles, a contractor bid prospectus.
- Community Assistance Grants- Cathy Rahmeyer will be contacted to provide information.
- Collaboration with Sierra County on spring cleanup-chipping program-Dave Goicoechea would like to involve the FSC in a planned spring cleanup.
- FSC was granted 10k by USFS for communities, however, most of those funds have been used.
- Heather said Nevada City’s Waste Management provided funding.
- Landowner contracts re: contractor selection-The consensus of the group was contracts would be sent out for public bid according to the established contractor protocol, if a landowner meets all the criteria he may be considered for the project.
- Grant Funding and Environmental Review requirements-Danielle reported the difficulties applying for grants requiring an approved CEQA document.
- Example: Sierra Nevada Conservancy needs proof of compliance with CEQA but entities are not willing to put their stamp of approval on documents.
- The “slam dunk” projects will be done while working simultaneously on getting categorical exemptions from CEQA on projects before applying to Sierra Nevada Conservancy.
- Downieville was mentioned as a long-term CEQA approved project.
- Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) funding-Cindy Noble- California funding of 5k is available to share between Plumas and Sierra County for outreach programs. Examples: Presentations at the Plumas/Sierra Fairgrounds, web or phone service.
- Financial Report-Mike presented the financial check register to the group. QuickBooks program will allow each project to be set up as a company or department to keep track of revenue and expenses.
- Lila will need to be given a 1099 form.
- Mike will resign as treasurer but will still keep the books
- Nancy Finney, Kathleen Goicoechea and Peter Huebner were added to the signature authorization list for banking.
- Web site update, e-mail account, main e-mail account- Kevin from Nevada City developed the site; 13 e-mail accounts remaining on the SCFSWC.com web site. Larry will be the main contact for e-mail information. More web information is needed for the site. Danielle will provide video on the operation of the equipment at the project sites.
- Phone Number- a toll-free 800 number will be set up with AT & T message service. Interim Director, Cindy Noble will be on the hook to answer the messages.
- Contractor Reports:
- Heather reported one landowner for 90% of the Alleghany project has specific requests: Ray the geologist to flag the property, no mechanical use, and he may want to bid on the project. The other 10% of property owners are on board. Heather is waiting for an answer from the 90% property owner.
- The fifth quarterly report was completed and met the deadline of 12/31/08 for Alleghany.
- Danielle reported the last quarter and annual report was calculated and submitted on the Calpine project.
- In-kind sheets are needed to defray the 42k matching funds. Peter will get the box of SCFSCW documents from Lila and give to Mike. In-kind sheets were given to Lila last summer are probably still in the box.
- Acceptance of Executive Director Resignation- the e-mail version will be accepted as official resignation.
- Board terms as per the bylaws-Cathy Rahmeyer will be consulted.
- The bylaws state no less than seven directors. There are 2 vacancies available
- Possible revisions to the bylaws-Each member will be e-mailed the bylaws to review, make changes, and send to Mike.
Next Meeting: Sierra City Childcare Center Friday, February 27, 2009 at 10 a.m.
Future meetings will be the last Friday of the month.